Today, hosting virtual conferences and meetings has become an integral part of corporates. Not only does it allow organizations to plan out meetings with delegates or team members virtually but offers enormous benefits as well. The percentage of virtual conferences has increased phenomenally over the past few years. All thanks to advanced technology!
Virtual Events and conferences are hosted online with the help of a comprehensive virtual event platform. But there comes an alarming sign. Have you ever thought about whether your online conference or AGM is at the risk of cybercrime? Is your data really secure at virtual events? Have you selected the right virtual event platform that abides by data privacy and security compliance? Some organizers miss out on thinking about these aspects. However, they ignore the fact that virtual events can be the soft target for cybercrime and data leakage by unauthorized third parties.
Cybersecurity and data security at virtual events hold utmost importance. A platform that adheres to compliance and security rules and is transparent, must be the first pick of organizers.
In this blog, we have listed the importance of cybersecurity and data security at virtual events for event planners, corporates, attendees as well as virtual event platform providers. So, without wasting any further time let’s get started!
Is your virtual event the potential target of cybercrime?
Nowadays, a wide range of virtual event platforms are available in the market. The competition between virtual event service providers has been set on fire. Today these online platforms have become the first choice of corporates to host their internal team meetings as well as external events of the organization. With the sudden upsurge in the demand for advanced technology, many platforms overlook the aspects of digital security and data privacy. That’s the major mistake done by virtual event platforms that made their platform stand at the receiving end of cybercrime.
As virtual events and conferences involve an exchange of confidential information. The risk of data leakage or access to unauthorized third parties remains there if the platform is not secure. A non-secure virtual platform attracts cybercriminals and becomes more prone to cyber threats in a virtual landscape.
The data stolen from the virtual event attendee list at virtual events can be later used by cybercriminals in phishing activities. However, attendees, organizers, and service providers remain unaware of the malicious activities by cyber criminals due to unfathomable trust in the virtual event platforms.
Data privacy and security stay at stake during virtual events if the virtual event platform is not secure. Before selecting a virtual event platform to host your virtual event and conference, make sure that the platform you opted for abides by safety and security compliance and is transparent. It will help in preventing the risk of data breaches and cyber threats, thus keeping all the information exchanged at virtual events safe and secure.
Some of the most common incidents that lead to cybercrime at virtual events:
Right from data breaches to conference bombing are some of the most common types of threat that prevails during virtual events. Unauthorized third parties gaining access to your virtual events results in disrupting your event flow and stealing the data from the attendee list. We have listed some of the most common instances that result in cybercrime at virtual events:
- Malicious links posted during events via networking during virtual events with the intention of motivating attendees to click that link results in data loss or phishing activities.
- The attendees who are not part of the virtual event genuinely, but gain access to the event and showcase inappropriate content. The illegal content that gains response from attendees results in data breaching.
- The third-parties applicants disrupt the meeting via live audio/video conferencing over a virtual event platform.
To ensure data privacy and security at virtual events and offer a completely safe and secure virtual venue in a digital landscape, virtual event platforms must adhere to safety and security compliance. We have listed some measures that virtual event platforms must take to keep event data safe and secure. Have a look:
Few measure virtual event platform service providers must take:
- Password-Protected Login: It ensures that the verified attendee can only log in to the virtual event platform with a password provided to attend an event. Thus resulting in making the platform secure from any unauthorized third party attempts to log in and enter the event.
- Enhanced Security via Captcha: This advanced security feature ensures that only genuine users can log in to the event and no bots in your virtual event. However, making it completely secure from the risk of data breaches.
- 2-Factor Authentication Via OTP: As OTP is an efficient way used by banks, and e-commerce platforms to ensure that a designated person is only making an attempt and not any other third party. Same way, virtual event platforms must have a 2-factor authentication that ensures the designated attendee is entering the event. Thus making the virtual event extremely safe and secure.
- Unique URL: Having a unique URL for the event can be one of the smartest moves by event planners and service providers. A unique URL for the virtual events makes sure that the person having the URL of the event is only attending the event. However, preventing the risk of cyber threats and data leakage.
- HTTPS URL: Make sure the platform must have an SSN secure connection with TLS 1.2 protocol enabled. This makes sure your connection and server are secure by HTTPS. Thus making your virtual event or conference completely secure from the conference bombing.
- Attendee Data Access: Full access to attendee data such as name, telephone, emails, company name, or any other relevant information should not be given to other attendees attending the virtual event. It should remain limited to the admin. Additionally, attendees should only be able to share the documents or other information, only when permission is granted.
- Vulnerability Assessment & Penetration Testing: Having a security service for your virtual event platform that identifies gaps between server, network, and infrastructure keeps the data secured at all times during virtual events.
- Password for on-demand content: Offer the recorded content to the attendee only when they enter the right password that is sent to them via emails or text messages.
- Malware detection: A virtual event platform must have URL filtering for chat boxes to prevent any attendee from sharing malicious links.
Selecting a platform that has an array of safety features makes sure you host a seamless virtual event in a safe and secure virtual environment. However, leveraging a platform with safety compliance is just not enough. Attendees must also make sure to keep their data secure and do not fall into the temptations offered. Here are some data security tips for attendees, have a look:
Virtual event data security tips for attendees
- Open the virtual event URL in a safe and secure browser with a reliable internet connection.
- Restrict yourself from sharing confidential information during virtual events. Ensure that you share any confidential information via officially authorized email-id and to official email-ids only.
- Do not share your corporate credentials at any event.
- Make sure not to click on unauthorized or malicious links or documents during the virtual event.
Security at virtual events is missed by many event planners, organizers, attendees as well as virtual event platform service providers. However, having a fully secure virtual event platform that adheres to safety protocols is vital for hosting your virtual event seamlessly and prevents the risk of data breaching and cybercrime. Additionally, attendees must ensure safety measures during the virtual event to safeguard their confidential or critical information.